Scope and policy
Faces de Eva. Estudos sobre a Mulher is a biannual scientific journal based at CICS.NOVA (Centro Interdisciplinar de Ciências Sociais - Interdisciplinary Centre for the Social Sciences) in NOVA FCSH.
Faces de Eva's eponymous research team began publishing the journal in 1999.
Throughout the years, Faces de Eva has established itself for the diverse and transversal array of fields of knowledge that contribute to an increasingly complex and multifold understanding of the human person. Therefore, its structure reflects its concerns, scientific in nature. Its purpose is to give a voice and an echo to innovation in the theoretical fields of Gender, Feminist and Women Studies and in such a way as to retain their underlying premises whilst emphasizing people's real life experiences that allow for identification and social modelation processes. This double dimension is an cutting-edge editorial choice that originates in a scientifc approach that aims to combine theoretical and empriricist knowledge.
Faces de Eva accepts and publishes articles in Portuguese, Spanish, French and English, thus promoting the international dissemination of its contents. It includes a wide array of sections, among which the Estudos, the only subject to peer review. Every other section of the publication also follows publication regulations that guarantee their inclusion in the international criteria of rankings and metrics, increasingly safeguarded by the journal, with positive results.
The journal both arises from, and is aimed at academia, and it develops and presents itself as an attempt to encourage the kind of scientific exchange increasingly present in portuguese universities.
Form and preparation of manuscripts
1. The author(s) must send a digital copy in both word and pdf format. Please use Times New Roman, size 12, at a space and a half. All manuscripts must have a cover page with the following information: identity, CV in digital platform address (e.g. ORCID/CIÊNCIA ID, LATTES) and affiliation (two at most) in the following order: University, College, Department/Research Center, postal code, city, country. Also indicate an e-mail address, preferably institutional. Acronyms and abbreviations must only be used after providing the full name(s) to which they refer.
2. Original manuscripts submitted for the Estudos (Studies) section must not exceed 40 000 characters (including spaces) and must contain title, abstract and keywords in the language in which the article is written, but also in English and Portuguese (example: an article written in Spanish must contain title, abstract and keywords in Spanish, Portuguese and English). For articles written in English, the aforementioned elements must also be in English and Portuguese. Abstracts must not exceed 650 characters (including spaces) and must have up to 5 keywords.
Original manuscripts submitted for consideration in the Estudos (Studies) section are submitted to a review process by two specialists in the respective scientific areas, as indicated in the peer reviewing process.
3. Before initiating the peer reviewing process, all manuscripts will be subjected to a screening so as to ascertain that all publishing norms are duly followed.
4. Personal information regarding authors who submit manuscripts for the journal, namely their names and addresses, will be used solely for the purposes of the publication of scientific work, and will not be used for other ends or made available to third parties.
5. Only bibliographical references of works cited shall be accepted. These must be placed at the end of the article. Works must be cited in the text, with the fol- lowing format: (author surname, year, page). Short quotations, not exceeding 4 lines, should be enclosed within quotation marks in the text. Longer quotations must be separated from the text and not be enclosed within quotation marks. Cite the work you paraphrase in the text using either the narrative or the par- enthetical format. In the list of references, when a title is in a language other than English, include a translation of the title in square brackets. Faces de Eva. Estudos sobre a Mulher follows the norms provided by APA, version 7. (Further information in https://apastyle.apa.org)
6. Address for manuscript submission in word and pdf format: E-mail: email@example.com
7. The sections Estado da Questão (State of the Art), Pioneira (Pioneer) and Retrato (Portrait) must not exceed 12 000 characters (including spaces). The section Estado da Questão (State of the Art) must include the respective institutional logo (in jpg/gif format). The others sections must include a photograph (in jpg/gif format).
8. The section Diálogos (Dialogues) must not exceed 20 000 characters (including spaces).
9. The section Entrevistas (Interviews) must not exceed 20 000 characters (including spaces) and must include a photograph (in jpg/gif format).
10. The section Recensões (Reviews) includes appraisals of books, movies, or any other type of cultural and/or artistic production. Submissions must not exceed 8 000 characters (including spaces) and must focus on materials that were published or released twelve months prior to the expected date of publication of the number of the journal.
One work by one author:Terry, G. (2009). Climate change and gender justice. Practical Action Publisher.
One work by multiple authors:Byerly, C. M., & Ross, Karen (2006). Women & media. A critical introduction. Blackwell Publishing.
Same author and same publication date:United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC). (2019a). Gender and climate change draft decision -/CP.25 enhanced Lima work programme on gender and its gender action plan. UNFCCC. https://unfccc.int/topics/ gender/workstreams/the-enhanced-lima-work-programme-on-gender#eq-2
United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change UNFCCC. (2019b). Gender composition report by the secretariat conference of the parties twenty-fifth session Santiago, 2–13 December. https://unfccc.int/sites/default/files/resource/CP2019_09E.pdf
Chapter in a book:Bystrom, D. G. (2004). Women as political communication sources and audiences. In L. L. Kaid (Ed.). Handbook of Political Communication Research (pp. 435-459). Lawrence Eribaum Associates, Inc.
Serial/journal article (online):Findlen, P. (1993, September). Science as a career in enlightenment Italy: The strategies of Laura Bassi. Isis, 84(3), 441-469. https://www.jstor.org/stable/235642
Serial/journal article (DOI):Fiolhais, C. (2021). Ada Lovelace: A “feiticeira do número” [Ada Lovelace: The “Enchantress of Number”]. Faces de Eva. Estudos sobre a Mulher (46), 31-48. https://doi.org/10.34619/fyuc-ofnh
Priebe, S., Sandhu, S., Dias, S., Gaddini, A., Greacen, T., Ioannidis, E., ... Bogic, M. (2011). Good practice in health care for migrants: Views and experiences of care pro- fessionals in 16 European countries. BMC Public Health, 11(1), 187. https://doi. org/10.1186/1471-2458-11-187
Resurrección, B. P. (2013). Persistent women and environment linkages in climate change and sustainable development agendas. Women’s Studies International Forum, 40, 33-43. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.wsif.2013.03.011
Book/ Chapter in a book/ Serial/journal article in another language:Tosi, L. (1998). Mulher e ciência: A revolução científica, a caça às bruxas e a ciência moderna [Woman and science: Scientific revolution, witch-hunt and modern science]. Cadernos Pagu, 10, 369-397. http://www.bibliotecadigital.unicamp.br
Organisation/Corporate author:United Nations. (2019). Sustainable development goals report https://www.un.org/sus-tainabledevelopment/progress-report/
Peer review process
Original manuscripts submitted for consideration in the "Estudos" (Studies) section forwarded to Faces de Eva. Estudos sobre a Mulher are submitted for peer reviewing, done by two national and/or international specialists. The peer reviewing process must take into account how the article fulfils the overall goals of the journal Faces de Eva. Estudos sobre a Mulher; its scientific quality; the relevance, originality, clarity and coherence of its contents; the delineation of its methodology; the accuracy of its writing and its formal coherence and balance.
Only the articles in the section "Estudos" are submitted for peer reviewing. Reviews must be explicit in their considerations for publishing: accepted without restrictions; accepted with restrictions (indicating which); rejected. Further suggestions that may be seen as pertinent in terms of changes to the article may also be requested and supplied to the author(s). In order to be published, the article must hold two favourable reviews.
Publication's statement of ethics and good practices
Faces de Eva. Estudos sobre a Mulher is a peer reviewed journal that aims to disseminate works within the scope of Women's Studies, Feminist Studies and Gender Studies that may contribute to the transformation of relational practices and the symbolisms that support them, as well as to the diversity and deepening of national and international scientific dialogue.
The journal Faces de Eva. Estudos sobre a Mulher is sponsored by public entities, namely, the Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (FCT), within the scope of the project «UIDB/04647/2020» of CICS.NOVA – Centro Interdisciplinar de Ciências Sociais of Universidade NOVA de Lisboa. It has also had occasional private funding, within the scope of corporate social responsibility.
The journal Faces de Eva. Estudos sobre a Mulher adheres to the principles of the declaration of ethics and good practices in publishing, expressed in the Code of Conduct and Standards of Good Practice for Journal Editors of the Committee on Ethics in Publishing - COPE (available at http://publicationethics.org/"). The Editorial Team, authors and reviewers are committed to the following Declaration of Ethics and Good Practices.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE EDITORIAL TEAM (DIRECTION, EXECUTIVE EDITING)
As to the journal's objectives:- Collaborate in the pursuit of the Journal's objectives, observe and enforce publication guidelines and ethical standards.
As to the journal theme:- Defining the subject in focus and the role of each article in the thematic issues.
Timeline:- Establish a schedule for article submission, respective scientific refereeing, review and final submission, ensuring that all deadlines are met.
As to the acceptance of the article and various submissions:- To decide, preliminarily, which of the articles proposed to the journal will be submitted to the opinion of specialists in the respective areas, having as criteria the editorial line, the norms of article publication, and the current legal requirements regarding copyright violation and plagiarism.
- The Journal reserves the right not to accept for evaluation more than one submission per author per year, or while there is a previous submission in the evaluation process.
As for the evaluation:- Ensure that scientifically adequate referees are chosen for all articles.
- Ensure that the scientific refereeing process for articles submitted for publication is transparent, fair, and impartial.
Corrections after publication:- Provide for the publication of necessary clarifications, rectifications and corrections, after deliberation of the Editorial Team.
Non-discrimination:- Ensure that the evaluation, as well as the decision of acceptance or rejection of manuscripts, observes the fundamental principles of equality and non-discrimination, namely, on the basis of ancestry, age, state of health, sex, gender identity, race, language, territory of origin, religion, political or ideological convictions, education, economic situation, social condition or sexual orientation.
Communication with authors:- Keep authors informed during the process of submission or publication of an article.
- Present the reviewers' opinions to the authors.
- Decide on the authors' decision whether or not to follow the reviewers' opinions.
Transparency:- Ensure transparency in the editing and publication processes, allowing access to the opinions of acceptance/refusal of submitted texts.
- No fees will be charged for publication.
Conflict of interest:- The editorial team safeguards possible conflicts of interest/ competing interests.
RESPONSIBILITY OF THE EVALUATOR (PEER REVIEW)
Contribution to the editorial decision:- To be aware of the editorial line of the Journal in order to guarantee its fulfilment.
Contribution to the article:- Suggest to the author improvements in the text submitted for publication
Honor:- Not to use or disclose, by any means, the material entrusted to their review before its effective publication.
Confidentiality:- Consider the articles received for scientific arbitration as confidential documents.
Non-discrimination:- Respect the fundamental principles of equality and non-discrimination, namely on the basis of ancestry, age, state of health, sex, gender identity, race, language, territory of origin, religion, political or ideological convictions, education, economic situation, social condition, or sexual orientation.
Standards of objectivity:- Substantiate your views with objective arguments and without personal criticism.
Acknowledgment of sources:- Ensure that a publication or observations and arguments referred to in the text are accompanied by identification of their source and are indicated in the final list of references.
Conflict of interest:- Inform the editorial team immediately if there is any conflict of interest.
Fraud detection:- Inform the editors of any suspected plagiarism, such as substantial similarity or overlap between the study and any other work (published or unpublished) or of which they are aware.
Deadline compliance:- Complete the review within the agreed deadline.
It is the authors' responsibility:- To ensure the inclusion of all co-authorship in the manuscript and list all persons who contributed significantly to the study, as well as ensure that all those involved approve and agree with the final version of the document sent for publication;
- To ensure the non-inclusion in the manuscript of people who did not effectively collaborate in its elaboration.
Submission standards:- Unconditionally observe the rules of publication provided by Faces de Eva journal.
- Present the work in a clear and precise manner; ensure that the methodological options are clear, that the text is presented in a coherent and structured manner and respects the grammatical rules of the language in which it is written.
Originality and plagiarism:- Guarantee the originality of the paper submitted for publication, stating on your honor that it has been prepared from the rigorous analysis of accurate data, and has not been published elsewhere.
- Ensure that sources used are properly referenced and/or cited.
Multiple, redundant or competing publications:- Do not present the same research in multiple articles, nor submit the same article simultaneously to more than one journal.
Statements conflict interests:- Disclose and reveal sources of financial support and any conflicts of interest that may influence the interpretation and/or results of the research presented in the article.
Fundamental errors in published works:- Promptly notify and cooperate with the Editorial Board when you discover a significant error or inaccuracy in your own published work so that it may be corrected.
Archive:- Ensure access to the (empirical) data by other competent professionals for at least ten years after publication, while protecting the confidentiality of the participants and respecting the legal rights to that data;
Editorial autonomy:- Ensure the autonomy of editorial decisions.
Intellectual property and copyright:- Protect the intellectual property and rights of authors and editors by promoting and maintaining the record of the published version.
Scientific misconduct:- Take the necessary steps to identify and prevent the publication of articles in which research misconduct has occurred, and to discourage and combat practices that embody it.
Errata publication:- Take all appropriate steps, in collaboration with the journal's editorial team, to clarify or amend articles in situations of alleged or proven scientific misconduct, fraudulent publication, or plagiarism. This includes the immediate publication of an errata, clarification and correction.
PROCEDURES IN CASE OF UNETHICAL BEHAVIOUR
Identification of unethical behaviour:- Anyone who has concrete evidence of unethical behaviour should forward it to the editorial team, which is committed to investigating it.
- The editorial team will conduct a serious and confidential investigation, gathering evidence, respecting the adversarial process until a final decision is made.
If any unethical behaviour by the authors is detected, the editorial team will initiate the Investigation Procedure, which may involve the following actions:- suspending the article review procedure, if it is ongoing;
- suspending the article publication process, if it is underway;
- informing the authors in detail, by the same means of communication through which the article was sent;
- detailing the stages of the procedure and the elements of proof, requesting clarification from the authors;
- deliberating on the clarification sent by the authors, communicating to them the decision made;
[Home] [Editorial Board] [Instructions to Authors] [Subscription]
© 2022 Faces de Eva. Estudos sobre a Mulher, Centro Interdisciplinar de Ciências Sociais da Universidade NOVA de Lisboa (CICS.NOVA) / Edições Húmus
Universidade NOVA de Lisboa
Faculdade de Ciências Sociais e Humanas
Centro Interdisciplinar de Ciências Sociais (CICS.NOVA)
Equipa de Investigação Faces de Eva. Estudos sobre a Mulher
Colégio Almada Negreiros (CAN), Sala 333, Gabinete 361
Universidade NOVA de Lisboa - Campus de Campolide